Wednesday, 26 August 2015

Heritage On Main: The Winnipeg Hotel at 214-216 Main Street

Article by Laura McKay, on behalf of Heritage Winnipeg Corp.   
Thank you to Greg Agnew, Heritage Winnipeg Board Member, for his assistance with images for this post.
To follow up on this or any other articles on the blog, contact Heritage Winnipeg's Executive Director.

The Winnipeg Hotel as it looks now. Image courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Nomination Report.

The Winnipeg Hotel at 214-216 Main Street doesn't look like much now, but it is thought to be the oldest hotel still operating in Winnipeg, as well as the last brick-veneered wood frame commercial building left in the city. 

Brick-veneered wood frame commercial structures such as the Winnipeg Hotel have tended not to survive due to their inability to withstand heavy fire damage, the high insurance premiums associated with such buildings, their tendency to be replaced with more substantial structures, and the structural problems presented by the brick veneer. The Coronation Block on 238 King Street that housed the Shanghai Restaurant was another such building, demolished a few years ago. You can read a CBC News article, written just prior to the demolition, here


The Shanghai Restaurant in the now-demolished Coronation Block at 238 King Street.

The "Garry Saloon" was erected in the summer of 1873 as a two-storey wooden frame structure built in an L-shape with a false front. Operated by a James S. Wheeler, the saloon soon came to be known as the Garry House or Garry Hotel, likely named after the (Upper) Fort Garry from whom the land had been purchased

In the spring of 1881, Thomas Montgomery became Wheeler's partner, bringing with him the capital from a successful carriage-making business he had run on Fort Street with his brother, Christopher, since 1876. After Montgomery came on board, some $9000 was spent to transform the Garry into the three-storey, brick-veneer fronted Winnipeg Hotel

Thomas Montgomery. Image courtesy of the Manitoba Historical Society's Memorable Manitobans website.
The new Winnipeg Hotel featured fifty-seven rooms, a 70-foot iron-tube well, three parlours, a modernly furnished dining room, sample rooms for salesmen, and a well-stocked bar. The hotel received its first guests in September of 1881, just after the beginning of a boom in Winnipeg's economy created by the railway and the influx of settlers heading west that followed.

Buildings such as the Winnipeg Hotel, the Cauchon Block (Empire Hotel), and the never-completed Canada Pacific Hotel were built with the hope that Main Street's business district would continue to expand to the south. Unfortunately for them, this did not happen, leaving these businesses less successful than was originally hoped.

214-216 Main St. Winnipeg Hotel ca. 1903. Image courtesy of the Archives of Manitoba.

Wheeler and Montgomery ceased to be partners in April of 1883, leaving the business entirely to Montgomery, who later partnered with his brother Oswald in July of 1893. Oswald Montgomery had experience operating hotels in Rat Portage (now Kenora) and Glenboro, as well as other places. By this time, unspecified renovations had reduced the original fifty-seven rooms to forty-five. 

In the fall of 1895, the Winnipeg Hotel once again underwent renovations. This time the Montgomery brothers spent approximately $20,000 and hired architect Walter Chesterton to draw up the plans. Chesterton was to be responsible for numerous other buildings in the province, including the Vaughan Street Jail and Virden's St. Mary's Anglican Church.  

214-216 Main St. Winnipeg Hotel ca. 1933. Image courtesy of the Archives of Manitoba.
The renovations included a new facade, constructed chiefly of Twin Cities red brick and Battle River sandstone, English plate glass windows with stained and leaded transom lights on the ground floor. A galvanized iron cornice was added on the roof level while the wooden sides were covered with a brick veneer to match the facade.

These renovations were added to once again in 1901, when another $14,000 was spent on the place expand the hotel with a three storey addition at a right angle to the body of the hotel, extending it right to the back lane and increasing the capacity to eighty rooms.  Samuel Hooper designed these renovations and would go on to become Manitoba's first Provincial Architect, with projects such as the Seven Oaks Monument and the Winnipeg Carnegie Library (now the City of Winnipeg Archives) under his belt.

A more recent image of the back of 214 Main Street. Image courtesy of Greg Agnew.
From 1901-1902, hotel accommodations were at a premium in Winnipeg, so the Montgomerys purchased the former Dominion Hotel immediately to the north with hopes of expansion. The plan was to triple the size of the hotel with a five-storey addition on the Dominion as well as enlarging the Winnipeg Hotel to five storeys. 

These plans were never put into action however, likely because the brothers decided to put their efforts into the Queens Hotel, another of their properties, at the northeast corner of Notre Dame and Portage Avenue (part of what is now the approximate location of 201 Portage Avenue). 

214-216 Main Street, The Winnipeg Hotel ca. 1990. Image courtesy of Greg Agnew.

Shortly after the purchase of the Dominion, the Winnipeg Hotel was sold to Maurice Noakes, owner of the Imperial Hotel at Main Street and Alexander Avenue, in 1904 for $125,000. He soon sold the property the Bernhart Brothers of the Palace (Sutherland) Hotel, who in turn sold it to the former owners of Brandon's Beaubier Hotel "Matt" Matthews and "Dug" Hills.

After 1909, the Winnipeg Hotel saw a large number and variety of owners in rapid succession, along with many alterations including painting the facade white, likely done in the 1930s, the removal of the balcony over the front entrance, and the remodelling of the entrance in 1959. Over the years, the interior has also undergone renovation numerous times.     
 
A recent photo of the Winnipeg Hotel, courtesy of Greg Agnew.

Sources & Links 

"The Winnipeg Hotel: 214-216 Main Street Winnipeg, Manitoba". Report prepared by Randy R. Rostecki, Historic Resources Branch of Culture, Heritage and Recreation. November 1989. Print.

 Like what you see?
To receive email updates from the blog, 
Spread the word - Don't forget to like and share using the icons below!  
 

Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Winnipeg's North End and the Community

Article by Rushika Khatkar, on behalf of Heritage Winnipeg Corp.
To follow up on this or any other articles on the blog, contact Heritage Winnipeg's Executive Director.
 
Though the North End is not an official neighborhood, residents of Winnipeg still know of it.The North End is  filled with stories of struggle and survival. Though a poverty stricken area, it is rich in culture. Every year since 1999, Picnic in the Park is held at St. Johns Park in hopes to bring neighbors in the North End together.


Performers at Picnic in the Park. Photo courtesy of The North End Community Renewal Corporation.


The North End community is significantly shaped by its past. The period after 1896 brought large numbers of eastern European immigrants arrived in Winnipeg and settled in the North End. It was a poor and overcrowded area. There was more than 20 people living in house at a time. The houses were not connected to the water supply and this combined with overcrowding made the area a perfect place for disease to spread.

Many people were employed, often working seasonal jobs on farms or on railway construction. The problem was that they had low wages. In fact, they were earning less than half of what was needed for a normal standard of living. Not only was the North End separated economically from the city, but also physically. It was was separated by the CPR yards. The inhabitants of the area faced antisemitism and were called names such as "dumb hunkies" and "bohunks."

Through their struggles, many immigrants started local businesses that contribute to the community today.  For example, Ted Baryluk's Grocery is a grocery store in the north end. Ted Baryluk's store was much more than a grocery, but a welcoming place for the people of the community. This is one of many stores that the people of the community love and feel comfortable in. A women will open a carton of milk to check if its fresh but said she wouldn't do that any where else. The North End has a great community.

I Heart North End Wall. Photo courtesy of The North End Community Renewal Corporation.

It's not just the people that make the North End so special, but also the buildings. It is easy to see the influence of the immigrants is  in the buildings. The Ukrainian Labour Temple is a hall and cultural centre. It is run by the Association of United Ukrainian Canadians. It is also the home to the Ivan Franko Museum. For more information on the museum, see our previous post, 10 Places to Visit in Addition to the Canadian Museum for Human Rights 

The Ukranian Labour Temple. Photo courtesy of Virtual Heritage Winnipeg.

Located at 115 McGregor, Sts. Vladimir & Olga Cathedral (Ukrainian Catholic Church) is an old church that went through many changes. Originally built in the spring of 1900, the church was soon converted into a reading hall and Ukrainian Heritage School after the St. Nicholas Church was built in  1904 by the Basilian Fathers. Tensions arose between the parishers of the small church and Basilians. In 1907, the  Ss Vladimir and Olga Ukrainian Catholic parish was established at the small church. The church now accommodates more than 400 perishers. For more information on the
Sts. Vladimir & Olga Cathedral, go to their website.

Sts. Vladimir & Olga Cathedral

Ross House Museum was once the first post office in Western Canada. Its is the one of the last remaining examples of Red River frame architecture in Winnipeg and it gives a look into the 1850's lifestyle. The house was built by William and Jemima Ross. William Ross was appointed the first postmaster for the red river settlement and operated from his home. The house was used as an office for a construction company after the Roses were finished using it. To read more about the Ross House, go to our previous post, Ross House Museum at 140 Meade Street North .

Ross House. Photo Courtesy of Manitoba Historical Society.

There is one building that's hard to miss. The Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral stands tall and can be seen on main street. Its past starts before it was even built when a
group of prominent individuals met up at St. Andrews College in 1945. The subject being the need for a new parish in Winnipeg's north end. The cathedral was officially opened  on July 8, 1962.

The Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral.

Right beside the Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral lies St. Johns Park. With facilities like a wading pool, a play structure, and lawn bowling, the park is a great place for people of all ages. Its also the site of Picnic in the Park. Picnic in the park  is an annual family fun day organized by The North End Community Renewal Corporation (NECRC). The NECRC aims to promote the social, cultural and economic renewal of Winnipeg's North End. NECRC works with residents and local businesses of the area to further their goals.

The petting zoo at Picnic in the Park. Photo courtesy of North End Community Renewal Corporation .

The NECRC has organized Picnic in the Park since 1999. The  aim of Picnic in the Park is to promote positive self- image and encouraging cultural diversity. This year's event will be held August 22, 2015 at St. John's park. People will be able to enjoy free food and beverages, entertainment, children's activities/games, prizes and displays put up by local agencies and artisans. This is a great opportunity for residents of the North End to meet each other.  Local acts include Leanne Goose, C-weed band and the Metis square dance group. Picnic in the Park is the perfect way to celebrate the North End community.

Sources & Links

Canadian Dimension- Winnipeg's North End
North End Community Renewal Corporation
Ross House Museum- Manitoba Historical Society
Sts. Vladimir & Olga Cathedral
The Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan


 

 Like what you see?

To receive email updates from the blog, 


Spread the word - Don't forget to like and share using the icons below!  




Wednesday, 12 August 2015

Heritage On Main: In the Beginning

Article by Laura McKay, on behalf of Heritage Winnipeg Corp.   
Thank you to Greg Agnew, Heritage Winnipeg Board Member, for his assistance with archival photographs.
To follow up on this or any other articles on the blog, contact Heritage Winnipeg's Executive Director.


 
West side of Main Street looking North from Graham ca. 1876. Image courtesy of the Manitoba Archives N21073

A History of Portage & Main 

335  Main Street, Bank of Montreal ca. 1913. Image courtesy of the Provincial Archives.

Perhaps Winnipeg's most famous corner, Portage and Main had surprisingly humble beginnings as the location of Henry McKenney's store. When McKenney arrived in the settlement where the Assiniboine River joins the Red in 1859, the main route was the Portage Trail, which followed the Assiniboine River to the main road at the fort, whose location is now commemorated with the Upper Fort Garry Provincial Park.

Henry McKenny Image courtesy of Greg Agnew.

This was of no consequence to McKenney, who purchased an established store only a short distance from the present Portage and Main, but a fair distance from the Fort. The store's previous owner was Andrew McDermot, a pioneer from the third shipload of Selkirk settlers that arrived in 1815. The store was almost immediately converted into the Royal Hotel, the first hotel in Canada's West.

McDermot's store ca. 1858. Image courtesy of Library & Archives of Canada Henry Youle Hind photo.

Due to the hotel's popularity (and that of its bar), regulars began to cut across the prairie, straying from the established route to make a beeline for the hotel. This split the Portage Trail into two branches - the original, which followed the Assiniboine River, and a second to the north that lead directly to the Royal Hotel.

Winnipeg in 1869. Image courtesy of the University of Manitoba Archives.
Being an ambitious entrepreneur, McKenney then sold his hotel and built a general store even farther to the north than the hotel had been. According to Alan Artibise in Winnipeg: An Illustrated History, "This choice of site caused much amusement and even jeers from the [locals]... The store was a considerable distance from the Red River and was situated on land so low that it often flooded in spring." 
Looking north down Main Street from Market Avenue ca. 1900. Photo courtesy of the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections (Winnipeg Tribune Photo Collection) Call Num: PC 18/7192/18-6236-004.

McKenney's store served as the anchor of today's corner of Portage and Main. He deliberately chose to build the store at an angle to Main Street, saying he wanted the store's corner to be a central hub for the settlement, from which roads would branch out like the spokes of a wheel.  

Current Heritage Buildings on Main Street

The Millennium Centre at 389 Main Street is an example of a building that is both on Main Street and in the Exchange District National Historic Site.
Ever wondered about the status of an older building you pass on Main Street? Wonder no more! Here is a complete list of every heritage building on Winnipeg's Main Street, its heritage status, as well as links to the historical reports and blog posts I've written about them. There will be more blog posts as time goes on and I work my way through as many as I can!

North of Portage Avenue & Main Street - Exchange District; designated as a National Historic Site of Canada.

Main Street & McDermot Avenue - Early Skyscrapers in Winnipeg; designated as a National Historic Site of Canada. 

Main Street Bridge, Tyndall Stone Portion. Image courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.
0 Main Street - Main Street Bridge, Tyndall Stone Portion; built in 1931, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview. Blog Post: "Main Street Bridges - Guest Post by David Loftson"

123 Main Street - Union Station; built in 1908, designated as a Heritage Railway Station of Canada. Designated as a National Historic Site of Canada. Blog post: "Union Station at 123 Main Street - Home of the Winnipeg Railway Museum" (and Streetcar 356)

130 Main Street - The Upper Fort Garry Gate; built in 1853, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report. Blog post: "The Unveiling of Upper Fort Garry Provincial Park" and "The Fence is Coming Down - Upper Fort Garry Provincial Park". Designated as a National Historic Site of Canada.

214 Main Street - The Winnipeg Hotel; built in 1873, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview. Blog Post: "Heritage On Main: The Winnipeg Hotel at 214-216 Main Street".

218-224 Main Street - Now a vacant lot, this space was once home to the Dominion Hotel, later known as the Blue Note Cafe. Blog Post: "Heritage on Main: The Former Dominion Hotel (Blue Note Cafe) at 218-224 Main Street".

226 Main Street - The Macdonald Block (Commercial Hotel); built in 1873, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview. Blog Post: "The Macdonald and Fortune Blocks at 226-234 Main Street".

232 Main Street - The Fortune Block; built in 1882, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview. Blog Post: "The Macdonald and Fortune Blocks at 226-234 Main Street".

Breen Motors at 245 Main Street. Image courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.
245 Main Street - Breen Motors (The National Film Board); built in 1922, Commemorative Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

269 Main Street - Federal Building; built in 1935, designated as a Federal Heritage Building.

272 Main Street - The Scott Block; built in 1915, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report. Blog post: "Advocacy Alert: The Scott Block at 272 Main Street".



280 Main Street - The Cadomin Building; built in 1912, not designated. Blog Post: "Heritage On Main: The Cadomin Building at 280 Main Street".

335 Main Street - The Bank of Montreal; built in 1913, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report. Blog Post: "A Winnipeg Landmark: The Bank of Montreal at 335 Main Street".

389 Main Street - The Bank of Commerce; built in 1910, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report. Blog Post: "The Millennium Centre at 389 Main Street - Where It All Began".

395 Main Street - The Bank of Hamilton; built in 1916, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.

423 Main Street - The Canadian Wheat Board Building; built in 1928, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.

436 Main Street - The Former Bank of British North America (Newmac Building); built in 1903, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report

The Imperial Bank of Canada at 441 Main Street. Image courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.
441 Main Street - The Imperial Bank of Canada; built in 1906, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report

456 Main Street - The Bank of Toronto; built in 1905, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.


457 Main Street - The Confederation Life Building; built in 1912, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report. Designated as a National Historic Site of Canada.

460 Main Street - The Royal Bank of Canada Building; built in 1900, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report


466 Main Street - The Woodbine Hotel; built in 1878, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.

468 Main Street - Birt's Saddlery (The Baker Block); built in 1901, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.

474 Main Street - The Duffin Block (Birt's Saddlery); built in 1881, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview

480 Main Street - The Ashdown Store Annex; built in 1951, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

492 Main Street - The Former Macdonald Shoe Store; built in 1883, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report

The Fomer Macdonald Shoe Store at 492 Main Street. Images courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.
500 Main Street - The Union Bank Building Annex; built in 1898, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report. Designated as a National Historic Site of Canada.

504 Main Street - The Union Bank Building; built in 1903, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report. Designated as a National Historic Site of Canada.

510 Main Street - Winnipeg City Hall; built in 1962, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report

554 Main Street - The McLaren Hotel; built in 1910, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

586 Main Street - The Maycock Block; built in 1885, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

594 Main Street - The Allman Block; built in 1904, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report. Blog post: "The Allman Block at 594 Main Street".

598 Main Street - The Guest Block; built in 1902, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

600 Main Street - The McKerchar Block; built in 1902, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview


The Corbett Block at 611 Main Street. Image courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.
607 Main Street - The Mindell Block; built in 1925, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

611 Main Street - The Corbett Block; built in 1901, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview

661 Main Street - The Calder (Kaplan) Building; built in 1912, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

662 Main Street - The Bell Hotel; built in 1906, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview

667 Main Street - The Alloway and Champion Bank; built in 1905, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.

669 Main Street - The Lighthouse Mission (Zimmerman Block); built in 1913, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.

678 Main Street - The Dominion Bank Building; built in 1907, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report

765 Main Street - The Canadian Pacific Railway Post Office Building; built in 1924, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.

782 Main Street - The International Harvester Building; built in 1904, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

The Canadian Pacific Railway Post Office Building at 765 Main Street. Image courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.
785 Main Street - The Palace (Sutherland) Hotel; built in 1900, Commemorative Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview

786 Main Street - The West (New West) Hotel; built in 1905, Commemorative Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

802 Main Street - The Beveridge Block; built in 1907, Commemorative Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

826 Main Street - The Northern Hotel; built in 1906, Commemorative Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

939 Main Street - McGregor (Methodist) United Church (St. Ivan Suchavsky Church); built in 1891, Commemorative Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

1023 Main Street - The Chesed Shel Ems "House of Truth" Chapel; built in 1905, Commemorative Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview.

1048 Main Street - Postal Station B; built in 1907, Commemorative Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview. Designated as a Federal Heritage Building.

Inkster House aka Bleak House at 1637 Main Street. Image courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.
1175 Main Street - The Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral; built in 1949, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview

1386 Main Street - The Merchant's Bank; built in 1913, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report

1417 Main Street - The Ogniwo Polish Museum Society, no heritage designation. Click here to go to their website.

1611 Main Street - The Green Briar Inn; built in 1929, Commemorative Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview

1611 Main Street - Battle of Seven Oaks; built in 1816, designated as a National Historic Site of Canada.

1637 Main Street - Inkster House (Bleak House); built in 1874, designated as a Historical Resource. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Report

2373 Main Street - The Kildonan School (Nisbet Hall); built in 1865, nominated for Heritage Designation. Click here for the City of Winnipeg Historical Overview. Designated as a Heritage Site by the Province of Manitoba.

Meanings of Heritage Designations

Here's a quick guide to what the various designations mean and how buildings are now designated in the City of Winnipeg. For more information, there's an entire blog post about the process here

The Fortune Block at 232 Main Street is an example of a building that has been nominated for heritage designation. Image courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.
 Nominated - If a building is on the nominated list, this means that it has been nominated for consideration by the various committees in hopes that it will eventually be designated as a Historical Resource. These buildings are protected from demolition but have no restrictions on alterations.

The Confederation Life Building at 457 Main Street is an example of a building that is on the City's List of Historical Resources. Image courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.
Designated as a Historical Resource - Any building that is 40 years old or more can be added to this list if it is deemed to have significant heritage value. These buildings are protected from demolition and have a caveat on their title to notify owners and potential buyers of the designation. A heritage permit is required for alterations and they may be eligible for financial assistance from the City or other funding agencies.

The former McGregor (Methodist) United Church at 939 Main Street is an example of a building on the Commemorative List. Image courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.
Commemorative - The Commemorative List is intended only to celebrate Winnipeg's history, not protect it. A small amount of information is provided on the City of Winnipeg website but there are no restrictions based on this listing and buildings are not eligible for heritage-related financial assistance. Buildings may remain on this list even after demolition. 

What Can I Do?

So now you have all of this information about the heritage buildings on Main Street. You're probably even interested in learning more about one or two of them. So what can you do about it?


First, I would recommend giving the blog post or Historical Report a skim-over. The information I post on the blog is mostly taken from the Historical Report, so no need to read both unless you're feeling ambitious. Consider looking for a community history in your local library or online. Informing yourself about the history of your community's buildings gives you a jumping off point for the next few steps. 


Second, take a look at what the building's designation is. Is it designated, nominated, or on the commemorative list? If it's nominated for designation, consider writing your local councillor with your support for designation to show them the community cares. Tell other people about it too or talk about it on social media to get the conversation going. For a list of the City of Winnipeg councillors and the areas they represent, click here


Third, support the buildings in your area that are already designated. Tour the museums, pop in to check out the businesses, and take advantage of tours and events like Doors Open Winnipeg. Encourage visitors to the city to do the same and show off your city when you have the opportunity. Heritage buildings have a lot to teach us, but are vulnerable without the support of their community.   

Sources & Links

Artibise, Alan F.J. Winnipeg: An Illustrated History. Toronto: Lorimer, 1977. Print. 

 Like what you see?
To receive email updates from the blog, 
Spread the word - Don't forget to like and share using the icons below!